Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday Pie-Day: Peppermint Snow Pie



Have you ever wanted to indulge in some peppermint Oreo bark, but in a pie form? Well, look no further; this is the recipe for you!




I made a few mistakes while I was making it, so I will share them with you so you won’t mess up like I did. (I think it still turned out great though!)





This was my first mistake. I took a picture of all the ingredients… except I forgot a very important one lurking in the refrigerator – the whipped topping! This is a foreshadowing of things to come.




I had never used unflavored gelatin before – I am a Jello fan. So this was a little weird. It did thicken up nicely after it mixed with the water and the milk though. It only took like 5 minutes of constant stirring.




Next was the fun part of adding the white chocolate chips! Plop! Into the white abyss! You can’t see it in this picture, but there was also peppermint extract wafting up in the steam. Peppermint plus white chocolate equals the smell of Christmas.




OK, I take that back. THIS was the fun part!




While the gelatin/milk/white chocolate/peppermint mixture sits in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, it is the perfect time to get out those peppermints and start smashing them!




My method of choice was a hammer.




My fingers were so sticky just from unwrapping all these – I used 50 for 2 pies.




Even though I am not a big peppermint fan, there was something magical about crushed peppermints in a chocolate pie crust.




I was so caught up in the glory of the peppermints that I totally skipped the step about adding the whipped topping! Oops! But doesn’t this chilled filling look beautiful as it’s being poured over the peppermints?




This was me trying to rectify the mistake. I didn’t even measure out the 2 cups of whipped topping – just kinda eyed it? I unsuccessfully tried to stir it into the perfectly filled pie crusts. It doesn’t work, folks.




But going back to the peppermints… this is what they look like when you pour out the filling – oooo, it kinda turns the filling remnants pink, doesn’t it?!




OK, as I awaken from my peppermint reverie, this was the attempt to fold in the whipped topping to the pie filling that I had removed from the crust.




I think it turned out tasting great, but read the directions, people. And then follow them. (Which means you’re actually not going to mix all the whipped topping in to the filling.)




After a night in the refrigerator, the pie was ready to be served! Well, almost.




I added that remaining whipped topping…




…and then (you knew it was coming… I couldn’t get away from it!) more peppermints!




Oh, beauty. They look like little glittery sparkles in the snow, don’t they?




This pie was made in honor of my sister, who loves peppermint. She wanted a chocolate pie crust, but we also think an Oreo pie crust would be a divine combination with the peppermints and white chocolate filling.




Here’s one dessert that leaves your mouth feeling fresh!




Peppermint Snow Pie (recipe from Very Best Baking)


chocolate or Oreo pie crust

1 envelope (7 grams) unflavored gelatin

2 T. boiling water

1 can evaporated milk

1 cup (6 oz.) white chocolate chips

½ tsp. peppermint extract

1 container (8 oz.) whipped topping, divided

½ cup (about 24) coarsely chopped hard peppermint candies, divided



  1. Place gelatin in small bowl; stir in water. Let soften for 1 minute.
  2. Heat evaporated milk and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with whisk until mixture is dissolved and hot.
  3. Remove from heat; stir in white chocolate chips and peppermint extract until completely melted and smooth.
  4. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cool to touch.
  5. Gently whisk in 2 cups whipped topping.
  6. Sprinkle ¼ cup peppermint candies over bottom of crust. Pour filling over pie crust.
  7. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until set (we recommend overnight).
  8. Spread remaining whipped topping over center of filling. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup peppermint candies. Serve immediately.



6 comments:

  1. We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s awesome in favor of me to have a web page, which is useful in favor of my experience. thanks admin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can effortoessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, after reading this remarkable paragraph i am too happy to share my experience here with friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m looking for a lot of data on this topic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I’m happy to see some great articles on your site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...